SEO Works: Key Statistics Every Business Owner Should Know
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is complex and always changing and shifting with updates to the various algorithms — most notably, those used by Google. It also provides a bit of a different experience than other types of marketing, in that the return you see isn’t always immediate. It’s not the same as making a call and having a client place an order over the phone. However, since most people turn to the internet when they need a product or service, it’s clear that SEO is more important than ever. It’s critical to have a plan in place and to work consistently to achieve optimal results.
After all, internet users who are running these searches already want to buy. They’re already in the market. You don’t have to convince them that they need or want a product or a service. They already know that. You just have to show them why your specific company offers the best option, or you merely have to get that option in front of them and let them choose it all on their own. The beauty of SEO is that it specifically targets people who want to find results, who want to take action, who want to make purchases. When done right, this means it can be one of the most effective forms of advertising in the world.
How effective? Let’s start by taking a look at some key SEO statistics that help paint a clear picture:
- When looking at all experiences on the internet, a full 68% of them start with someone going to a search engine.
- Google corners the market on this traffic, accounting for nearly 93%.
- The goal of SEO is to get you to the first page of the search results, where more than 99% of users find the link that they choose to click.
- Organic search traffic, rather than traffic driven by ads, still accounts for more than 50% of traffic.
- Long search terms work, as people use four or more words in nearly 70% of their searches.
- SEO issues run rampant. For instance, more than 40% of pages have meta descriptions that are too long. Fixing SEO mistakes alone can have a massive impact on a site.
- SEO works best when you give it time. Consider, for instance, that the “average” page in the top 10 links on a search results page is more than two years old.
- The click-through-rate (CTR) for a top result is about 30%. Again, being on that first page matters.
- Every day, Google sees about 3.5 billion searches. This is a massive potential market, and it’s only increasing.
- Just under 40% of the online purchases that people make start with a search. It’s one of the most reliable ways to create conversions.
This final statistic underscores how important it is to target people who are already in the market to buy. It’s tough to get someone who has no intention of buying something to change their mind. With SEO, you don’t have to. People are actively searching for exactly the products and services that you sell, and they’re doing it right now. All you have to do is help them find you before the competition.
Let’s Get Started
If you’re interested in improving your SEO or starting a campaign from the ground up, we can help at Content Customs. With decades of combined experience, our team is ready to set your site up for success. Please do not hesitate to give us a call at your earliest convenience.