Important Search Engine Statistics
It’s clear that most people tend to use search engines fairly frequently. However, the internet isn’t the same today as it was 10 years ago, or even five. There are many options, many potential uses and many ways that people connect with friends, family members, brands and local businesses. You need to consider the use of social media, smartphones, voice assistants and much more. Today, let’s take a moment to consider how people tend to use search engines in 2022. What do these stats mean for the future of your company and your marketing efforts?
Key Search Engine Statistics to Consider
A great place to begin is by looking at current search engine statistics. They help to give you a more in-depth view of how and why people turn to search engines and what it means for you. Below are some of the most important statistics this year:
- When asked if they used a search engine on a monthly basis, 98% of people said they did. It’s clear that this is an incredible source of web traffic when you can hit the keywords that people are looking for.
- As you may suspect, Google gets the lion’s share of this traffic. It pulls in an astounding 89% for mobile searches and 78% of searches done on a computer.
- Every second, people run around 63,000 searches on Google. Your site has constant potential exposure.
- When looking just at local searches and results, it has been found that about 46% of Google searches fall into this category. This could indicate that people are looking for local restaurants, stores, bars, hotels and much more.
- While other sources can certainly drive web traffic, such as links on social media sites, up to 93% comes from search engines. This is just the first place that the average person turns when they need to research something quickly.
- Just under 20% of people click on the very first link on a Google search results page. It’s important to rank as highly as possible. It has also been found that the vast majority of people will pick a link off of the first page, even if it is not that first link itself. Most will never navigate to even the second page and so those results, as relevant as they may be, are essentially buried.
Optimizing your site for search engine use is crucial. It’s especially important to optimize for Google in the United States. Don’t overlook the value of keywords and results page placement. It is still the most important part of your online presence.
This doesn’t mean that nothing else matters, of course. Social media is terrific for connecting with your audience, and it allows you to create targeted ads. Email marketing is important because you can focus on people you know are interested in your products. Reviews are important because they help turn interested parties into conversions. But, if you’re looking to expand your influence and your reach, the first thing you need to consider is how your site ranks on search engines.
At Content Customs, We Get Results
If you want to learn more about how to get your site to the first page or how to optimize for mobile users — or anything else about SEO — feel free to contact us at Content Customs. We have decades of combined experience and we know we can help you get the results you’ve been looking for.